Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, October 5, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 80. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 58. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are expected to remain in the low 80s, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1813 U.S. victory at the Battle of the Thames, in Ontario, broke Britain’s Indian allies with the death of Shawnee Chief Tecumseh, and made the Detroit frontier safe.
- 1830 Birth of Chester A. Arthur, 21st president of the United States (1881-1885).
- 1864 At the Battle of Allatoona, a small Union post is saved from Lt. Gen. John Bell Hood’s army.
- 1877 Nez Perce Chief Joseph surrenders to Colonel Nelson Miles in Montana Territory, after a 1,700-mile trek to reach Canada falls 40 miles short.
- 1880 The first ball-point pen is patented on this day by Alonzo T. Cross.
- 1882 Outlaw Frank James surrenders in Missouri six months after brother Jesse’s assassination.
- 1882 Birth of Robert Goddard, American rocket scientist, held more than 200 rocketry patents.
- 1902 Birth of Ray Croc, founder of the McDonald’s hamburger franchise in 1955.
- 1915 Germany issues an apology and promises for payment for the 128 American passengers killed in the sinking of the British ship Lusitania.
- 1921 The World Series is broadcast on radio for the first time.
- 1931 Clyde Pangborn and Hugh Herndon complete the first heavier than air nonstop flight over the Pacific.
- 1943 Imperial Japanese forces execute 98 American POWs on Wake Island.
- 1947 US President Harry S Truman delivers the first televised White House address.
- 1962 The first James Bond film, Dr. No starring Sean Connery, debuts.
- 1965 U.S. forces in Saigon receive permission to use tear gas.
- 1966 A sodium cooling system malfunction causes a partial core meltdown at the Enrico Fermi demonstration breeder reactor near Detroit. Radiation is contained.
- 1970 The US Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) is established.