Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, October 9, 2019:
Partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 72. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 55. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
High temperatures are expected to dip from the low 80s into the 70s, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1781 Americans begin shelling the British surrounded at Yorktown.
- 1825 The first Norwegian immigrants to America arrive on the sloop Restaurationen.
- 1863 Confederate cavalry raiders return to Chattanooga after attacking Union General William Rosecrans’ supply and communication lines all around east Tennessee.
- 1873 Birth of Charles Rudolph Walgreen, “the father of the modern drugstore.”
- 1888 The Washington Monument, designed by Robert Mills, opens to the public.
- 1899 Birth of Bruce Catton, U.S. historian and journalist, famous for his works on the Civil War.
- 1941 President Franklin D. Roosevelt requests congressional approval for arming U.S. merchant ships.
- 1946 Eugene O’Neill’s play The Iceman Cometh opens at the Martin Beck Theatre in New York.
- 1949 Harvard Law School begins admitting women.
- 1950 U.N. forces, led by the First Cavalry Division, cross the 38th parallel in South Korea and begin attacking northward towards the North Korean capital of Pyongyang.
- 1999 Last flight of the Lockheed SR-71 “Blackbird” stealth reconnaissance aircraft.