Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, October 12, 2019:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 81. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 56. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Highs are expected to gradually drop over the course of the week, with morning overcast followed by mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1809 Meriwether Lewis, of the Lewis and Clark expedition, dies under mysterious circumstances in Tennessee.
- 1872 Apache leader Cochise signs a peace treaty with General Howard in Arizona Territory.
- 1933 Alcatraz Island is made a federal maximum security prison.
- 1943 The U.S. Fifth Army begins an assault crossing of the Volturno River in Italy.
- 1949 Eugenie Anderson becomes the first woman U.S. ambassador.
- 1970 President Richard Nixon announces the pullout of 40,000 more American troops in Vietnam by Christmas.
- 1971 The House of Representatives passes the Equal Rights Amendment 354-23.
- 1994 NASA loses contact with the Magellan probe spacecraft in the thick atmosphere of Venus.
- 2000 Suicide bombers at Aden, Yemen, damage USS Cole; 17 crew members killed and over 35 wounded.