Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, October 13, 2019:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 77. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 55.
Highs are expected to gradually drop over the course of the week, with morning overcast followed by mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1670 Virginia passes a law that blacks arriving in the colonies as Christians cannot be used as slaves.
- 1775 The Continental Congress authorizes construction of two warships, thus instituting an American naval force.
- 1776 Benedict Arnold is defeated at Lake Champlain.
- 1792 President George Washington lays the cornerstone for the White House.
- 1812 At the Battle of Queenston Heights, a Canadian and British army defeats the American who have tried to invade Canada.
- 1849 The California state constitution, which prohibits slavery, is signed in Monterey.
- 1903 Boston defeats Pittsburgh in baseball’s first World Series.
- 1910 Birth of Art Tatum, American jazz pianist.
- 1942 In the first of four attacks, two Japanese battleships sail down the slot and shell Henderson field on Guadalcanal, in an unsuccessful effort to destroy the American Cactus Air Force.
- 1967 First game of the fledgling American Basketball Association; Oakland Oaks beat Anaheim Amigos 134-129 in Oakland, Cal.
- 1983 The Space Shuttle Challenger, carrying seven, the largest crew to date, lands safely at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.