Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, October 16, 2019:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 84. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 59. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to fluctuate between the mid-70s and low 80s, with lows in the 50s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1701 Yale University is founded as The Collegiate School of Kilingworth, Connecticut by Congregationalists who consider Harvard too liberal.
- 1758 Birth of Noah Webster, U.S. teacher, lexicographer and publisher who wrote the American Dictionary of the English Language.
- 1846 Ether was first administered in public at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston by Dr. William Thomas Green Morton during an operation performed by Dr. John Collins Warren.
- 1859 Abolitionist John Brown, with 21 men, seizes the U.S. Armory at Harpers Ferry, Va. U.S. Marines capture the raiders, killing several. John Brown is later hanged in Virginia for treason.
- 1898 Birth of William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice.
- 1901 President Theodore Roosevelt incites controversy by inviting black leader Booker T. Washington to the White House.
- 1908 The first airplane flight in England is made at Farnsborough, by Samuel Cody, a U.S. citizen.
- 1938 Billy the Kid, a ballet by Aaron Copland, opens in Chicago.
- 1940 Benjamin O. Davis becomes the U.S. Army’s first African American Brigadier General.
- 1969 The New York Mets win the World Series four games to one over the heavily-favored Baltimore Orioles.
- 1984 A baboon heart is transplanted into 15-day-old Baby Fae–the first transplant of the kind–at Loma Linda University Medical Center, California. Baby Fae lives until November 15.
- 1995 The Million Man March for ‘A Day of Atonement’ takes place in Washington, D.C.