Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, October 18, 2019:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 77. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 57. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming east after midnight.
Highs are expected to rise, reaching the upper 80s by the new week and sunny skies all week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1648 The “shoemakers of Boston”–the first labor organization in what would become the United States–was authorized by the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- 1867 The Alaska territory is formally transferred to the U.S. from Russian control.
- 1867 The rules for American football are formulated at meeting in New York among delegates from Columbia, Rutgers, Princeton and Yale universities.
- 1883 The weather station at the top of Ben Nevis, Scotland, the highest mountain in Britain, is declared open. Weather stations were set up on the tops of mountains all over Europe and the Eastern United States in order to gather information for the new weather forecasts.
- 1939 President Franklin D. Roosevelt bans war submarines from U.S. ports and waters.
- 1939 Birth of Lee Harvey Oswald, assassin of President John F. Kennedy.
- 1944 Lt. General Joseph Stilwell is recalled from China by president Franklin Roosevelt.
- 1968 US athletes Tommi Smith and John Carlos suspended by US Olympic Committee for giving “black power” salute while receiving their medals at the Olympic Games in Mexico City.