Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, October 20, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 85. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Clear, with a low around 63. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph.
Highs are expected to spike into the 90s, gradually dropping across the week but remaining well above average. Lows will be in the upper 50s to low 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1818 The United States and Britain establish the 49th Parallel as the boundary between Canada and the United States.
- 1903 The Joint Commission, set up on January 24 by Great Britain and the United States to arbitrate the disputed Alaskan boundary, rules in favor of the United States. The deciding vote is Britain’s, which embitters Canada. The United States gains ports on the panhandle coast of Alaska.
- 1924 Baseball’s first ‘colored World Series’ is held in Kansas City, Mo.
- 1944 U.S. troops land on Leyte in the Philippines, keeping General MacArthur’s pledge “I shall return.”
- 1947 The House Un-American Activities Committee opens public hearings on alleged communist infiltration in Hollywood. Among those denounced as having un-American tendencies are: Katherine Hepburn, Charles Chaplin and Edward G. Robinson. Among those called to testify is Screen Actors Guild President Ronald Reagan, who denies that leftists ever controlled the Guild and refuses to label anyone a communist.
- 1968 Jacqueline Kennedy marries Aristotle Onassis.
- 1973 Arab oil-producing nations ban oil exports to the United States, following the outbreak of Arab-Israeli war.
- 1977 Charter plane crashes in Mississippi, killing three members of popular Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd, along with their assistant road manager, the pilot and co-pilot.
- 1991 Oakland Hills firestorm destroys nearly 3,500 homes and apartments and kills 25 people.