Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, October 24, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 94. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Clear, with a low around 56. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming northwest after midnight.
Highs are expected to peak in the 90s before dropping sharply to more seasonable temperatures over the weekend.
Red Flag Warning in effect from October 24, 05:00 AM PDT until October 25, 05:00 PM PDT
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1836 The match is patented.
- 1861 Western Union completes the first transcontinental telegraph line, putting the Pony Express out of business.
- 1863 General Ulysses S. Grant arrives in Chattanooga, Tennessee, to find the Union Army there starving.
- 1897 The first comic strip appears in the Sunday color supplement of the New York Journal called the ‘Yellow Kid.’
- 1901 Anna Edson Taylor, 43, is the first woman to go safely over Niagara Falls in a barrel. She made the attempt for the cash award offered, which she put toward the loan on her Texas ranch.
- 1916 Henry Ford awards equal pay to women.
- 1929 Black Thursday–the first day of the stock market crash which began the Great Depression.
- 1930 John Wayne debuts in his first starring role in The Big Trail .
- 1931 Al (Alphonse) Capone, the prohibition-era Chicago gangster, is sent to prison for tax evasion.
- 1938 The Fair Labor Standards Act becomes law, establishing the 40-hour work week.
- 1944 The aircraft carrier USS Princeton is sunk by a single Japanese plane during the Battle of Leyte Gulf.
- 1952 Presidential candidate Dwight D. Eisenhower announces that if elected, he will go to Korea.
- 1992 Toronto Blue Jays win the World Series, defeating the Atlanta Braves in the 11th inning of the 6th game, to become the first Major League Baseball team from outside the US to win the series.
- 2003 The supersonic Concorde jet made its last commercial passenger flight from New York City’s John F. Kennedy International Airport to London’s Heathrow Airport, traveling at twice the speed of sound.
- 2008 Many stock exchanges worldwide suffer the steepest declines in their histories; the day becomes known as “Bloody Friday.”