Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, October 25, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 94. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 61. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to peak in the 90s before dropping sharply to more seasonable temperatures over the weekend.
High Wind Warning until October 25, 02:00 PM PDT
Heat Advisory in effect from October 24, 10:00 AM PDT until October 25, 05:00 PM PDT
Red Flag Warning in effect from October 24, 05:00 AM PDT until October 25, 05:00 PM PDT
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1888 Richard E. Byrd, U.S. aviator and explorer who made the first flight over the North Pole.
- 1923 The Teapot Dome scandal comes to public attention as Senator Thomas J. Walsh of Montana, subcommittee chairman, reveals the findings of the past 18 months of investigation. His case will result in the conviction of Harry F. Sinclair of Mammoth Oil, and later Secretary of the Interior Albert B. Fall, the first cabinet member in American history to go to jail. The scandal, named for the Teapot Dome oil reserves in Wyoming, involved Fall secretly leasing naval oil reserve lands to private companies.
- 1944 The Japanese are defeated in the Battle of Leyte Gulf, the world’s largest sea engagement. From this point on, the depleted Japanese Navy increasingly resorts to the suicidal attacks of Kamikaze fighters.
- 1954 President Eisenhower conducts the first televised Cabinet meeting.
- 1958 The last U.S. troops leave Beirut.
- 1960 Martin Luther King, Jr., is sentenced to four months in jail for a sit-in.
- 1962 Adlai Stevenson shows photos to the UN Security Council that prove Soviet missiles have been installed in Cuba.
- 1983 1,800 U.S. troops and 300 Caribbean troops land on Grenada. U.S. forces soon turn up evidence of a strong Cuban and Soviet presence–large stores of arms and documents suggesting close links to Cuba.