Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, October 26, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 84. Light southwest wind becoming south 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 58. Southeast wind around 5 mph.
Highs are expected to drop sharply to more seasonable temperatures over the weekend, leveling out in the mid-upper 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1774 The first Continental Congress, which protested British measures and called for civil disobedience, concludes in Philadelphia.
- 1825 The first boat on the Erie Canal leaves Buffalo, N.Y.
- 1854 Birth of Charles William Post, food manufacturer, creator of “Grape Nuts” and “Post Toasties.”
- 1881 Three Earp brothers and Doc Holliday have a shootout with the Clantons and McLaurys at the O.K. Corral in Tombstone, Arizona Territory.
- 1942 U.S. Navy aircraft carrier Hornet is sunk in the Battle of Santa Cruz Island, in the South Pacific.
- 1942 Japanese attack Guadalcanal, sinking two U.S. carriers.
- 1955 The Village Voice is first published, backed in part by Norman Mailer.
- 1958 The first New York – Paris transatlantic jet passenger service is inaugurated by Pan Am, while the first New York – London transatlantic jet passenger service is inaugurated by BOAC.
- 1970 Gary Trudeau’s comic strip Doonesbury first appears.
- 2001 The USA PATRIOT Act signed into law by Pres. George W. Bush, greatly expanding intelligence and legal agencies’ ability to utilize wiretaps, records searches and surveillance.