Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, November 1, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 80. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 48. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Highs are expected to remain in the mid to upper 70s, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1861 The U.S. gunboat Penguin seizes the Confederate blockade runner Albion carrying supplies worth almost $100,000.
- 1862 President Abraham Lincoln gives the State of the Union address to the 37th Congress.
- 1863 Birth of Oliver Herford, American humorist and poet.
- 1863 Belle Boyd, a Confederate spy, is released from prison in Washington.
- 1881 Virgil, Wyatt and Morgan Earp are exonerated in court for their action in the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral in Tombstone, Ariz.
- 1909 President William Howard Taft severs official relations with Nicaragua’s Zelaya government and declares support for the revolutionaries.
- 1918 An American army of occupation enters Germany.
- 1941 The first Civil Air Patrol is organized in the United States.
- 1941 Japan’s Tojo rejects U.S. proposals for a Pacific settlement as fantastic and unrealistic.
- 1942 National gasoline rationing goes into effect in the United States.
- 1955 Rosa Parks refuses to sit in the back of a Montgomery, Alabama, bus, defying the South’s segregationist laws.
- 1969 America’s first draft lottery since 1942 is held.
- 1981 AIDS virus officially recognized.
- 1986 Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North pleads the 5th Amendment before a Senate panel investigating the Iran-Contra arms sale.
- 2001 Trans World Airlines’ final flight following the carrier’s purchase by American Airlines; TWA began operating 76 years earlier. The final flight, 220, piloted by Capt. Bill Compton, landed at St. Louis International Airport.