Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, November 9, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 86. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 55. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Highs are expected to gradual drop to more seasonable levels over the course of the week, with lows in the 50s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1848 The first U.S. Post Office in California opens in San Francisco at Clay and Pike streets. At the time there are only about 15,000 European settlers living in the state.
- 1906 President Theodore Roosevelt leaves Washington, D.C., for a 17-day trip to Panama and Puerto Rico, becoming the first president to make an official visit outside of the United States.
- 1965 Roger Allen LaPorte, a 22-year-old former seminarian and a member of the Catholic worker movement, immolates himself at the United Nations in New York City in protest of the Vietnam War.
- 1965 Nine Northeastern states and parts of Canada go dark in the worst power failure in history, when a switch at a station near Niagara Falls fails.
- 1967 NASA launches Apollo 4 into orbit with the first successful test of a Saturn V rocket.
- 1998 Largest civil settlement in US history: 37 brokerage houses are ordered to pay $1.3 billion to NASDAQ investors to compensate for price fixing.