Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, November 15, 2019:
Partly sunny, with a high near 70. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 52. Calm wind.
Temperatures are expected to rise again over the weekend, peaking on Sunday before dropping sharply by Tuesday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1626 The Pilgrim Fathers, who have settled in New Plymouth, buy out their London investors.
- 1777 The Articles of Confederation, instituting perpetual union of the United States of America, are adopted by Congress.
- 1805 Meriwether Lewis, William Clark and their party reach the mouth of the Columbia River, completing their trek to the Pacific.
- 1806 Explorer Zebulon Pike discovers the Colorado Peak that bears his name, despite the fact that he didn’t climb it.
- 1864 Union Major General William T. Sherman’s troops set fires that destroy much of Atlanta’s industrial district prior to beginning Sherman’s March to the Sea.
- 1881 The American Federation of Labor is founded.
- 1887 Birth of Georgia O’Keefe, American artist.
- 1906 Birth of Curtis LeMay, general in US Army Air Corps and later US Air Force; vice presidential running mate of George Wallace in 1968; credited with planning the strategic bombing campaign against Imperial Japan during WWII.
- 1937 Eighteen lawsuits are brought against the Tennessee Valley Authority, calling for its dissolution.
- 1942 An American fleet defeats a Japanese naval force in a clash off Guadalcanal.
- 1952 Newark Airport in New Jersey reopens after closing earlier in the year because of an increase in accidents.
- 1960 The first submarine with nuclear missiles, USS George Washington, takes to sea from Charleston, South Carolina.
- 1962 Cuba threatens to down U.S. planes on reconnaissance flights over its territory.
- 1965 In the second day of combat, regiments of the 1st Cavalry Division battle on Landing Zones X-Ray against North Vietnamese forces in the Ia Drang Valley.
- 1969 A quarter of a million anti-Vietnam War demonstrators march in Washington, D.C.
- 1984 Baby Fae dies 20 days after receiving a baboon heart transplant in Loma Linda, California.