Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, November 22, 2019:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 50. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph.
Temperatures are expected to remain in the upper 60s to low 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1542 New laws are passed in Spain giving Indians in America protection against enslavement.
- 1847 In New York, the Astor Place Opera House, the city’s first operatic theater, is opened.
- 1899 Birth of Hoagy Carmichael, American composer, pianist and singer.
- 1902 A fire causes considerable damage to the unfinished Williamsburg bridge in New York.
- 1919 A Labor conference committee in the United States urges an eight-hour workday and a 48-hour week.
- 1935 Pan Am inaugurates the first transpacific airmail service from San Francisco to Manila.
- 1943 Birth of Billie Jean King, U.S. tennis player and women’s rights pioneer.
- 1963 Lee Harvey Oswald assassinates President John F. Kennedy in Dallas, Texas. Lyndon B. Johnson becomes president.
- 1964 Almost 40,000 people pay tribute to John F. Kennedy at Arlington Cemetery on the first anniversary of his death.
- 1982 President Ronald Reagan calls for defense-pact deployment of the MX missile.
- 1986 Justice Department finds memo in Lt. Col. Oliver North’s office on the transfer of $12 million to Contras of Nicaragua from Iranian arms sale.
- 1988 First prototype of B-2 Spirit strategic stealth bomber unveiled for public viewing.
- 1995 The first feature-length film created entirely with computer generated imagery – Toy Story – premiers.