Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, November 24, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 73. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 4am. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 49. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph.
After a mild weekend, the weather is expected to turn cold and rainy over the Thanksgiving holiday, with rain possible by the middle of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1784 Birth of Zachary Taylor, general during the Mexican War, 12th President of the United States.
- 1863 In the Battle Above the Clouds, Union Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker’s forces take Lookout Mountain, near Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- 1864 Kit Carson and his 1st Cavalry, New Mexico Volunteers, attack a camp of Kiowa Indians in the First Battle of Adobe Walls.
- 1874 Joseph Glidden receives a patent for barbed wire.
- 1925 William F. Buckley, Jr., journalist, founder of National Review.
- 1927 Federal officials battle 1,200 inmates after prisoners in Folsom Prison revolt.
- 1938 Mexico seizes oil land adjacent to Texas.
- 1944 American B-29s flying from Saipan bomb Tokyo.
- 1950 UN troops begin an assault into the rest of North Korea, hoping to end the Korean War by Christmas.
- 1961 The United Nations adopts bans on nuclear arms over American protests.
- 1963 Jack Ruby fatally shoots the accused assassin of President Kennedy, Lee Harvey Oswald, in the garage of the Dallas Police Department.
- 1979 The United States admits that thousands of troops in Vietnam were exposed to the toxic Agent Orange.
- 1992 US Congress passes the Brady Bill requiring a 5-day waiting period for handgun sales; the bill is named for Pres. Ronald Reagan’s press secretary who was left partially paralyzed by a bullet during an assassination attempt on Reagan.