Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, November 30, 2019:
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 59. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the morning.
A slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 48. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
A slight warm-up will bring highs back into the mid to upper 60s and another chance of rain next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1782 The British sign a preliminary agreement in Paris, recognizing American independence.
- 1835 Birth of Mark Twain (Samuel Langhorne Clemens), American writer best remembered for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
- 1861 The British Parliament sends to Queen Victoria an ultimatum for the United States, demanding the release of two Confederate diplomats who were seized on the British ship Trent.
- 1864 The Union wins the Battle of Franklin, Tennessee.
- 1906 President Theodore Roosevelt publicly denounces segregation of Japanese schoolchildren in San Francisco.
- 1924 Birth of Shirley Chisholm, first African-American congresswoman, a representative for New York.
- 1929 Birth of Joan Ganz Cooney, television executive, founder of the Children’s Television Workshop and mastermind behind Sesame Street.
- 1929 Birth of Dick Clark, television host; (American Bandstand, 1957-87; Pyramid game show); beginning in 1972 and continuing into the 21st century he hosted Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve on television.
- 1950 President Truman declares that the United States will use the A-bomb to get peace in Korea.
- 1956 The United States offers emergency oil to Europe to counter the Arab ban.
- 1974 Pioneer II sends photos back to NASA as it nears Jupiter.
- 1981 Representatives of the US and USSR meet in Geneva, Switzerland, to begin negotiations on reducing the number of intermediate-range nuclear weapons in Europe.
- 1982 Thriller, Michael Jackson’s second solo album, released; the album, produced by Quincy Jones, became the best-selling album in history.
- 1993 US President Bill Clinton signs the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (better known as the Brady Bill) into law.
- 1995 Operation Desert Storm officially comes to an end.
- 1998 Exxon and Mobil oil companies agree to a $73.7 billion merge, creating the world’s largest company, Exxon-Mobil.
- 2004 On the game show Jeopardy! contestant Ken Jennings loses after 74 consecutive victories. It is the longest winning streak in game-show history, earning him a total of over $3 million.