Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, December 2, 2019:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 67. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. Calm wind.
Highs are forecast to be in the mid to upper 60s with another chance of rain starting Tuesday night.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1823 President James Monroe proclaims the principles known as the Monroe Doctrine, “that the American continents, by the free and independent condition which they have assumed and maintained, are henceforth not to be considered as subjects for future colonization by European powers.”
- 1863 General Braxton Bragg turns over command of the Army of Tennessee to General William Hardee at Dalton, Ga.
- 1863 Birth of Charles Ringling, one of the seven Ringling brothers of circus fame.
- 1864 Major General Grenville M. Dodge is named to replace General William Rosecrans as Commander of the Department of Missouri.
- 1867 People wait in mile-long lines to hear Charles Dickens give his first reading in New York City.
- 1909 J.P. Morgan acquires majority holdings in Equitable Life Co. This is the largest concentration of bank power to date.
- 1912 Birth of Henry Armstrong, the only boxer to hold three titles simultaneously.
- 1921 The first successful helium dirigible, C-7, makes a test flight in Portsmouth, Va.
- 1927 The new Ford Model A is introduced to the American public.
- 1944 General George S. Patton’s troops enter the Saar Valley and break through the Siegfried line.
- 1946 The United States and Great Britain merge their German occupation zones.
- 1970 The U.S. Senate votes to give 48,000 acres of New Mexico back to the Taos Indians.
- 1980 A death squad in El Salvador murders four US nuns and churchwomen.
- 1982 Dentist Barney Clark receives the first permanent artificial heart, developed by Dr. Robert K. Jarvik.
- 1993 NASA launches Space Shuttle Endeavor on a mission to repair the Hubble Space Telescope.
- 2001 Enron files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, one of the most complex bankruptcy cases in US history.