Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, December 3, 2019:
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 67. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph.
Showers between 10pm and 4am, then rain after 4am. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 52. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Highs are forecast to be in the mid to upper 60s with another chance of rain later in the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1762 France cedes to Spain all lands west of the Mississippi–the territory known as Upper Louisiana.
- 1818 Illinois admitted into the Union as the 21st state.
- 1847 Frederick Douglass and Martin R. Delaney establish the North Star, and anti-slavery paper.
- 1862 Confederate raiders attack a Federal forage train on the Hardin Pike near Nashville, Tenn.
- 1863 Confederate General James Longstreet moves his army east and north toward Greeneville. This withdrawal marks the end of the Fall Campaign in Tennessee.
- 1864 Major General William Tecumseh Sherman meets with slight resistance from Confederate troops at Thomas Station on his march to the sea.
- 1906 The U.S. Supreme Court orders Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) leaders extradited to Idaho for trial in the Steunenberg murder case.
- 1915 The United States expels German attaches on spy charges.
- 1918 The Allied Conference ends in London where they decide that Germany must pay for the war.
- 1965 The National Council of Churches asks the United States to halt the massive bombings in North Vietnam.
- 1977 The State Department proposes the admission of 10,000 more Vietnamese refugees to the United States.
- 1979 Eleven are dead and eight injured in a mad rush to see a rock band (The Who) at a concert in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 1989 Presidents George Bush and Mikhail Gorbachev announce the official end to the Cold War at a meeting in Malta.
- 1992 A test engineer for Sema Group sends the world’s first text message, using a personal computer and the Vodafone network.
- 2005 First manned rocket aircraft delivery of US Mail takes place in Mojave, Cal.