Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, December 8, 2019:
Showers, mainly before 4pm. High near 64. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
A chance of showers, mainly after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Mostly sunny skies are expected to return for the next week, with highs peeking into the 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1861 CSS Sumter captures the whaler Eben Dodge in the Atlantic. The American Civil War is now affecting the Northern whaling industry.
- 1863 Union General William Averell’s cavalry destroys railroads in the southwestern part of West Virginia.
- 1894 Birth of James Thurber, American writer, cartoonist and editor (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty).
- 1920 President Woodrow Wilson declines to send a representative to the League of Nations in Geneva.
- 1943 U.S. carrier-based planes sink two cruisers and down 72 planes in the Marshall Islands.
- 1944 The United States conducts the longest, most effective air raid on the Pacific island of Iwo Jima.
- 1982 The Washington, D.C., police shoot and kill a man threatening to blow up the Washington Monument.
- 2010 SpaceX becomes the first privately held company to successfully launch, orbit and recover a spacecraft.