Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, December 11, 2019:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 68. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. Calm wind.
Mostly sunny skies are expected to return for the next week, with highs reaching into the 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1816 Indiana is admitted to the Union as the 19th state.
- 1861 A raging fire sweeps the business district of Charleston, South Carolina, adding to an already depressed economic state.
- 1862 Union General Ambrose Burnside occupies Fredericksburg and prepares to attack the Confederates under Robert E. Lee.
- 1863 Union gunboats Restless, Bloomer and Caroline enter St. Andrew’s Bay, Fla., and begin bombardment of both Confederate quarters and saltworks.
- 1882 Birth of Fiorella H. La Guardia, mayor of New York City from 1933 to 1945.
- 1882 A production of Gilbert and Sullivan’s Iolanthe at Boston’s Bijou Theatre becomes the first performance in a theatre lit by incandescent electric lights.
- 1927 Nearly 400 world leaders sign a letter to President Calvin Coolidge asking the United States to join the World Court.
- 1930 As the economic crisis grows, the Bank of the United States closes its doors.
- 1941 The United States declares war on Italy and Germany.
- 1943 U.S. Secretary of State Cordell Hull demands that Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria withdraw from the war.
- 1945 A Boeing B-29 Superfortress shatters all records by crossing the United States in five hours and 27 minutes.
- 1951 Joe DiMaggio announces his retirement from baseball.
- 1964 Frank Sinatra, Jr., is returned home to his parents after being kidnapped for the ransom amount of $240,000.
- 1972 Challenger, the lunar lander for Apollo 17, touches down on the moon’s surface, the last time that men visit the moon.
- 2008 Bernard “Bernie” Madoff arrested and charged with securities fraud in what was called a $50-billion Ponzi scheme.