Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, December 14, 2019:
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 65. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 48. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph after midnight.
High temperatures are expected to remain in the mid to upper 60s, with mostly sunny skies for at least the next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1799 George Washington dies on his Mount Vernon estate.
- 1819 Alabama is admitted as the 22nd state, making 11 slave states and 11 free states.
- 1861 Prince Albert of England, one of the Union’s strongest advocates, dies.
- 1863 Confederate General James Longstreet attacks Union troops at Bean’s Station, Tenn.
- 1909 The Labor Conference in Pittsburgh ends with a “declaration of war” on U.S. Steel.
- 1946 The United Nations adopt a disarmament resolution prohibiting the A-Bomb.
- 1960 A U.S. Boeing B-52 bomber sets a 10,000-mile non-stop record without refueling.
- 2008 Iraqi broadcast journalist Muntadhar al-Zaidi throws his shoes at US President George W. Bush during a press conference in Baghdad.
- 2012 At Sandy Hook Elementary School, Newtown, Conn., 20 children and six adults are shot to death by a 20-year-old gunman who then commits suicide.