Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, December 20, 2019:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 72. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the morning.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 49. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph.
High temperatures are expected to remain in the mid to upper 60s, with mostly sunny skies. There will be a chance of rain for at least the first half of the coming week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1802 The United States buys the Louisiana territory from France.
- 1860 South Carolina secedes from the Union.
- 1868 Birth of Harvey Firestone, industrialist and tire maker.
- 1881 Birth of Branch Rickey, president of the Brooklyn Dodgers.
- 1904 Birth of Virgil “Spud” Davis, pro baseball catcher, coach, scout and manager.
- 1914 Birth of Harry F. Byrd Jr., first independent ever elected to US Senate by a majority of the popular vote (Virginia).
- 1938 First electronic television system is patented.
- 1941 The Flying Tigers, American pilots in China, enter combat against the Japanese over Kunming.
- 1948 U.S. Supreme Court announces that it has no jurisdiction to hear the appeals of Japanese war criminals sentenced by the International Military Tribunal.
- 1989 U.S. troops invade Panama to oust General Manuel Noriega and replace him with Guillermo Endara.
- 1996 NeXT merges with Apple Computer, leading to the development of groundbreaking Mac OS X.