Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, December 21, 2019:
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 72. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph after midnight.
Showers will be possible through much of the new week, with highs dropping into the low 60s and upper 50s over Christmas.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1620 The Pilgrims land at or near Plymouth Rock.
- 1790 Samuel Slater opens the first cotton mill in the United States (in Rhode Island).
- 1862 The U.S. Congress authorizes the Medal of Honor to be awarded to Navy personnel who have distinguished themselves by their gallantry in action.
- 1866 Indians, led by Red Cloud and Crazy Horse, kill Captain William J. Fetterman and 79 other men who had ventured out from Fort Phil Kearny to cut wood.
- 1911 Birth of Josh Gibson, baseball player for the Negro Leagues, Home-Run King.
- 1944 German troops surround the 101st Airborne Division at Bastogne in Belgium.
- 1945 General George S. Patton dies at the age of 60 after being injured in a car accident.
- 1965 Four pacifists are indicted in New York for burning draft cards.
- 1969 American draft evaders gather for a holiday dinner in Montreal, Canada.
- 1988 Pan Am Flight 103 from London to New York explodes in midair over Lockerbie, Scotland, an hour after departure. All 259 passengers were killed. A shower of airplane parts falling from the sky also killed 11 Lockerbie residents.
- 2004 A suicide bomber attacks the forward operating base next to the US military airfield at Mosul, Iraq, killing 22 people; it is the deadliest suicide attack on US soldiers during the Iraq War.