Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, December 24, 2019:
A slight chance of showers between 10am and 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 61. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
A chance of showers after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 47. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Rain will be possible through Thursday evening, with highs dropping into the upper 50s over Christmas.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1745 Birth of Benjamin Rush, American medical pioneer and signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- 1809 Birth of Christopher Kit Carson, one of the most famous mountain men and scouts in the West.
- 1812 Joel Barlow, aged 58, American poet and lawyer, dies from exposure near Vilna, Poland, during Napoleon’s retreat from Moscow. Barlow was on a diplomatic mission to the emperor for President Madison.
- 1814 A treaty of peace between the United States and Great Britain, ending the War of 1812, is signed at Ghent, Belgium. The news does not reach the United States until two weeks later (after the decisive American victory at New Orleans).
- 1861 The USS Gem of the Sea destroys the British blockade runner Prince of Wales off the coast at Georgetown, S.C.
- 1862 A Christmas present arrives a day early for the Federal troops at Columbus, Kentucky, in the way of artillery on board the USS New Era.
- 1905 Birth of Howard Hughes, American industrialist, aviator, film producer, and director.
- 1943 General Dwight D. Eisenhower is appointed the Allied Supreme Commander, even though almost everyone believed the position would go to American Chief of Staff George C. Marshall.
- 1956 African Americans defy a city law in Tallahassee, Florida, and occupy front bus seats.
- 1963 New York’s Idlewild Airport is renamed JFK Airport in honor of the murdered President Kennedy.
- 1964 The U.S. headquarters in Saigon is hit by a bomb killing two officers.
- 1968 The first pictures of an Earth-rise over the moon are seen as the crew of Apollo 8 orbits the moon.
- 1970 Nine GIs are killed and nine are wounded by friendly fire in Vietnam.
- 1972 Hanoi bars all peace talks with the United States until U.S. air raids over North Vietnam stop.