Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, December 25, 2019:
Showers likely, mainly between 10am and 4pm, then rain after 4pm. High near 58. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 45. East wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.
Rain will be possible through Thursday evening, with highs dropping into the upper 50s over Christmas.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1621 The governor of New Plymouth prevents newcomers from playing cards.
- 1651 The General Court of Boston levies a five shilling fine on anyone caught “observing any such day as Christmas.”
- 1776 Patriot General George Washington crosses the Delaware River with 5,400 troops during the American Revolution. Washington hoped to surprise a Hessian force celebrating Christmas at their winter quarters in Trenton, New Jersey.
- 1861 Stonewall Jackson spends Christmas with his wife; their last together.
- 1862 John Hunt Morgan and his raiders clash with Union forces near Bear Wallow, Kentucky.
- 1862 President and Mrs. Lincoln visit hospitals in the Washington D.C. area on this Christmas Day.
- 1925 U.S. troops in Nicaragua disarm insurgents in support of the Diaz regime.
- 1962 The Bay of Pigs captives, upon their return to the United States, vow to return to Cuba and topple Fidel Castro.
- 1965 Entertainer Chris Noel gives her first performance for the USO at two hospitals in California; became a star on Armed Forces Radio and Television, entertaining troops in Vietnam; in 1984 Veterans Network honored her with a Distinguished Vietnam Veteran award.
- 1973 U.S. astronauts onboard the Skylab space station take a seven-hour walk in space and photograph the comet Kohoutek.