Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, December 27, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 61. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 42. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph.
Temperatures are expected to remain in the low to mid-60s, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1512 The laws of Burgos give New World natives legal protection against abuse and authorize Negro slavery.
- 1829 Birth of Hinton Helper, Southern abolitionist who wrote The Impending Crisis.
- 1862 Union General William Rosecrans’ army begins moving slowly toward Murfreesboro, Tennessee, from Nashville.
- 1901 Birth of Marlene Dietrich, German-born singer and actress.
- 1913 Charles Moyer, president of the Miners Union, is shot in the back and dragged through the streets of Chicago.
- 1915 In Ohio, iron and steel workers go on strike for an eight-hour day and higher wages.
- 1919 Birth of Major General Charles Sweeney, the pilot of Bocks Car, the B-29 that dropped an atomic bomb on Nagasaki, Japan.
- 1932 Radio City Music Hall opens.
- 1944 General George S. Patton’s Third Army, spearheaded by the 4th Armored Division, relieves the surrounded city of Bastogne in Belgium.
- 1950 The United States and Spain resume relations for the first time since the Spanish Civil War of the 1930s.
- 1956 Segregation on buses in Tallahassee, Florida, is outlawed.
- 1968 The United States agrees to sell F-4 Phantom jets to Israel.
- 1983 President Reagan takes all responsibility for the lack of security in Beirut that allowed a terrorist on a suicide mission to kill 241 Marines.
- 2001 China receives permanent normal trade relations with the US.