Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, January 1, 2020:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 67. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. East wind around 5 mph.
Temperatures are expected to remain in the upper 60s to low 70s, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1698 The Abenaki Indians and Massachusetts colonists sign a treaty halting hostilities between the two.
- 1735 Birth of Paul Revere, U.S. patriot.
- 1752 Birth of Betsy Ross, flag maker.
- 1808 A U.S. law banning the import of slaves comes into effect, but is widely ignored.
- 1824 The Camp Street Theatre opens as the first English-language playhouse in New Orleans.
- 1830 William Lloyd Garrison publishes the first edition of a journal entitled The Liberator, calling for the complete and immediate emancipation of all slaves in the United States.
- 1863 Confederate General Braxton Bragg and Union General William Rosecrans readjust their troops as the Battle of Murfreesboro continues.
- 1863 President Abraham Lincoln issues the Emancipation Proclamation, freeing the slaves in the Confederacy.
- 1892 Facilities open on Ellis Island, New York, to cope with the vast flood of immigrants coming into the United States.
- 1895 Birth of J. Edgar Hoover, founding director of the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI).
- 1907 The Pure Food and Drug Act becomes law in the United States.
- 1918 The first gasoline pipeline begins operation. Along the 40 miles and three inches of pipe from Salt Creek to Casper, Wyoming.
- 1937 At a party at the Hormel Mansion in Minnesota, a guest wins $100 for naming a new canned meat–Spam.
- 1945 In Operation Bodenplatte, German planes attack American forward air bases in Europe. This is the last major offensive of the Luftwaffe.
- 1986 As the United States builds its strength in the Mediterranean, Libyan leader Muammar al-Qaddafi threatens to retaliate if attacked.