Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, January 5, 2020:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 68. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 45. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph.
Highs are expected to spike into the mid-upper 70s on Monday before quickly dropping back to more seasonable levels.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1779 Birth of Stephen Decatur, American naval hero during actions against the Barbay pirates and the War of 1812.
- 1815 Federalists from all over New England, angered over the War of 1812, draw up the Hartford Convention, demanding several important changes in the U.S. Constitution.
- 1861 The merchant vessel Star of the West sets sail from New York to Fort Sumter, in response to rebel attack, carrying supplies and 250 troops.
- 1904 American Marines arrive in Seoul, Korea, to guard the U.S. legation there.
- 1914 Henry Ford astounds the world as he announces that he will pay a minimum wage of $5 a day and will share with employees $10 million in the previous year’s profits.
- 1920 GOP women demand equal representation at the Republican National Convention in June.
- 1923 The U.S. Senate debates the benefits of Peyote for the American Indian.
- 1925 Nellie Tayloe Ross of Wyoming is sworn in as the first woman governor in the United States.
- 1928 Birth of Walter Mondale, 42nd Vice President of the United States, Democratic presidential nominee who lost to Ronald Reagan in 1984, and Ambassador to Japan.
- 1942 U.S. and Filipino troops complete their withdrawal to a new defensive line along the base of the Bataan peninsula.
- 1951 Inchon, South Korea, the site of General Douglas MacArthur’s amphibious flanking maneuver, is abandoned by United Nations force to the advancing Chinese Army.
- 1952 Prime Minister Winston Churchill arrives in Washington to confer with President Harry S. Truman.
- 1968 U.S. forces in Vietnam launch Operation Niagara I to locate enemy units around the Marine base at Khe Sanh.
- 1969 President Richard M. Nixon appoints Henry Cabot Lodge as negotiator at the Paris Peace Talks.
- 1971 President Richard M. Nixon names Robert Dole as chairman of the Republican National Party.
- 1982 A Federal judge voids a state law requiring balanced classroom treatment of evolution and creationism.
- 2005 Eris, largest known dwarf planet in the Solar System is discovered in images taken Oct. 21, 2003, at Palomar Observatory.