Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, January 6, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 76. Light and variable wind becoming northeast 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Clear, with a low around 50. Light northeast wind becoming east 5 to 10 mph in the evening.
Highs are expected to return to more seasonable levels by midweek, followed by a slight chance of showers over the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1811 Birth of Charles Sumner, anti-slavery senator from Massachusetts.
- 1861 The Governor of Maryland, Thomas Hicks, announces his opposition to the state’s possible secession from the Union.
- 1878 Birth of Carl Sandburg, U.S. journalist, poet and biographer.
- 1882 Birth of Sam Rayburn, U.S. Congressman from Texas & Speaker of the House (1940-46, 1949-53).
- 1910 Union leaders ask President William H. Taft to investigate U.S. Steel’s practices.
- 1912 New Mexico becomes the 47th U.S. state of the Union.
- 1919 Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th president of the United States, dies at the age of 60 in his home at Sagamore Hill, New York.
- 1921 The U.S. Navy orders the sale of 125 flying boats to encourage commercial aviation.
- 1937 The United States bans the shipment of arms to war-torn Spain.
- 1941 President Franklin D. Roosevelt asks Congress to support the Lend-lease Bill to help supply the Allies.
- 1945 Boeing B-29 bombers in the Pacific strike new blows on Tokyo and Nanking.
- 1967 Over 16,000 U.S. and 14,000 Vietnamese troops start their biggest attack on the Iron Triangle, northwest of Saigon.
- 2001 In one of the closest Presidential elections in U.S. history, George W. Bush was finally declared the winner of the bitterly contested 2000 Presidential elections more than five weeks after the election due to the disputed Florida ballots.
- 2005 Former Ku Klux Klan organizer Edgar Ray Killen is arrested as a suspect in the 1964 murders of three civil rights workers in Mississippi.
- 2014 US Senate confirms Janet Yellen as the first woman to chair the Federal Reserve Bank in the central bank’s 100-year history.