Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, January 8, 2020:
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 65. South wind around 5 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 46. South wind around 5 mph becoming east after midnight.
Highs are forecast to remain in the mid-60s, with lows in the mid-40s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1786 Birth of Nicholas Biddle, head of the first United States bank.
- 1815 A rag-tag army under Andrew Jackson defeats the British on the fields of Chalmette in the Battle of New Orleans.
- 1892 A coal mine explosion kills 100 in McAlister, Oklahoma.
- 1908 A subway line opens linking the New York boroughs of Brooklyn and Manhattan.
- 1935 Birth of Elvis Presley, rock ‘n roll singer, actor in over thirty films.
- 1946 President Harry S. Truman vows to stand by the Yalta accord on self-determination for the Balkans.
- 1954 President Dwight Eisenhower proposes stripping convicted Communists of their U.S. citizenship.
- 1963 President John F. Kennedy attends the unveiling of the Mona Lisa.
- 1975 Ella T. Grasso becomes Governor of Connecticut, the first female governor in the US who did not come into office by succeeding her husband.
- 1979 The United States advises the Shah to leave Iran.
- 1982 AT&T agrees to divest 22 subdivisions as part of an antitrust agreement.
- 2002 US President George W. Bush signs into law the No Child Left Behind Act, intended to improve America’s educational system.
- 2011 An attempted assassination of Arizona Representative Gabrielle Giffords is part of a shooting spree in which Jared Lee Loughner kills 6 and wounds 13.