Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, January 9, 2020:
A chance of showers after 10am. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 63. Light and variable wind becoming west 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Mostly clear, with a low around 42. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast to remain in the mid-60s, with lows in the mid-40s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1776 Thomas Paine publishes Common Sense, a scathing attack on King George III’s reign over the colonies and a call for complete independence.
- 1861 Southern shellfire stops the Union supply ship Star of the West from entering Charleston Harbor on her way to Fort Sumter.
- 1861 Mississippi secedes from the Union.
- 1912 Colonel Theodore Roosevelt announces that he will run for president if asked.
- 1913 Birth of Richard Nixon, 37th President of the U.S. and first President to resign from office.
- 1915 Pancho Villa signs a treaty with the United States, halting border conflicts.
- 1924 Ford Motor Co. stock is valued at nearly $1 billion.
- 1945 U.S. troops land on Luzon, in the Philippines, 107 miles from Manila.
- 1952 Jackie Robinson becomes the highest paid player in Brooklyn Dodger history.
- 1964 U.S. forces kill six Panamanian students protesting in the canal zone.
- 2007 Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple, unveils the first iPhone.