Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, January 22, 2020:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 66. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 47. Calm wind.
Highs are forecast to return to the 70s by midweek and remain there for the remainder of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1807 President Thomas Jefferson exposes a plot by Aaron Burr to form a new republic in the Southwest.
- 1813 During the War of 1812, British forces under Henry Proctor defeat a U.S. contingent planning an attack on Fort Detroit.
- 1863 In an attempt to out flank Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia, General Ambrose Burnside leads his army on a march to north Fredericksburg, but foul weather bogs his army down in what will become known as the “Mud March.”
- 1874 Birth of D.W. [David Wark] Griffith, influential U.S. film director (The Birth of A Nation, Intolerance).
- 1890 Birth of Fred Vinson, Thirteenth Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.
- 1906 Birth of Willa Brown-Chappell, pioneer aviator.
- 1944 U.S. troops under Major General John P. Lucas make an amphibious landing behind German lines at Anzio, Italy, just south of Rome.
- 1982 President Ronald Reagan formally links progress in arms control to Soviet repression in Poland.