Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, January 29, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 75. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 49. Southeast wind 5 to 15 mph becoming northeast after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Highs are forecast to rise, reaching the low 80s by the coming weekend before dropping.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1737 Birth of Thomas Paine, political essayist (The Rights of Man, The Age of Reason).
- 1843 Birth of William McKinley, 25th President of the United States.
- 1861 Kansas is admitted into the Union as the 34th state.
- 1865 William Quantrill and his Confederate raiders attack Danville, Kentucky.
- 1918 The Supreme Allied Council meets at Versailles.
- 1926 Violette Neatley Anderson becomes the first African-American woman admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court.
- 1929 The Seeing Eye, America’s first school for training dogs to guide the blind, founded in Nashville, Tennessee.
- 1944 The world’s greatest warship, USS Missouri, is launched.
- 1967 Thirty-seven civilians are killed by a U.S. helicopter attack in Vietnam.
- 1979 President Jimmy Carter commutes the sentence of Patty Hearst.
- 1984 President Ronald Reagan announces that he will run for a second term.
- 1984 The Soviets issue a formal complaint against alleged U.S. arms treaty violations.