Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, February 2, 2020:
Partly sunny, with a high near 69. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
A slight chance of showers before 10pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 44. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northwest 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Highs are forecast to drop sharply, with highs remaining in the low 60s for the first half of the week before moderating slightly. Lows are forecast to be in the lower 40s, potentially dipping into the 30s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1571 All eight members of a Jesuit mission in Virginia are murdered by Indians who pretended to be their friends.
- 1848 The Treaty of Guadeloupe Hidalgo formally ends the Mexican War.
- 1865 Confederate raider William Quantrill and his bushwackers rob citizens, burn a railroad depot and steal horses from Midway, Kentucky.
- 1870 The press agencies Havas, Reuter and Wolff sign an agreement whereby between them they can cover the whole world.
- 1876 The National Baseball League is founded with eight teams.
- 1895 Birth of George Halas, National Football League co-founder.
- 1900 Six cities, Boston, Detroit, Milwaukee, Baltimore, Chicago and St. Louis agree to form baseball’s American League.
- 1916 U.S. Senate votes independence for Philippines, effective in 1921.
- 1921 Airmail service opens between New York and San Francisco. Airmail’s First Day.
- 1948 The United States and Italy sign a pact of friendship, commerce and navigation.
- 1959 Arlington and Norfolk, Va., peacefully desegregate public schools.
- 1960 The U.S. Senate approves 23rd Amendment calling for a ban on the poll tax.
- 1978 U.S. Jewish leaders bar a meeting with Egypt’s Anwar Sadat.
- 1987 Largest steel strike in American history, in progress since August, ends.