Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, February 8, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 65. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 50. South wind around 5 mph becoming east after midnight.
A chance of showers is possible early in the week, with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1820 Birth of William T. Sherman, Union general in the American Civil War.
- 1861 Delegates from seceded states adopt a provisional Confederate Constitution.
- 1862 Union troops under Gen. Ambrose Burnside defeat a Confederate defense force at the Battle of Roanoke Island, N.C.
- 1865 Confederate raider William Quantrill and men attack a group of Federal wagons at New Market, Kentucky.
- 1887 Congress passes the Dawes Act, which gives citizenship to Indians living apart from their tribe.
- 1910 The Boy Scouts of America is incorporated.
- 1931 Birth of James Dean, film actor and 1950s teenage icon (Rebel Without a Cause, East of Eden, Giant).
- 1962 The U.S. Defense Department reports the creation of the Military Assistance Command in South Vietnam.
- 1990 CBS television temporarily suspends Andy Rooney for his anti-gay and ant-black remarks in a magazine interview.