Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, February 12, 2020:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 67. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
Patchy fog. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Mostly sunny skies are expected for the remaining week, with highs in the 60s to low 70s and lows in the 40s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1775 Birth of Louisa Adams, wife of John Quincy Adams
- 1793 The first fugitive slave law, requiring the return of escaped slaves, is passed.
- 1809 Birth of Abraham Lincoln, 16th U.S. President of the United State (1861-1865).
- 1836 Mexican General Santa Anna crosses the Rio Grande en route to the Alamo.
- 1880 Birth of John L. Lewis, American labor leader.
- 1893 Birth of Omar Bradley, U.S. army general during World War II.
- 1909 The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) is formed.
- 1924 George Gershwin’s groundbreaking symphonic jazz composition Rhapsody in Blue premieres with Gershwin himself playing the piano with Paul Whiteman’s orchestra.
- 1929 Charles Lindbergh announces his engagement to Anne Morrow.
- 1935 The Macon, the last U.S. Navy dirigible, crashes off the coast of California, killing two people.
- 1938 Japan refuses to reveal naval data requested by the U.S. and Britain.
- 1944 Wendell Wilkie enters the American presidential race against Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1972 Senator Edward Kennedy advocates amnesty for Vietnam draft resisters.
- 1974 The Symbionese Liberation Army asks the Hearst family for $230 million in food for the poor.
- 1980 The Lake Placid Winter Olympics open in New York.
- 1987 A court in Texas upholds $8.5 billion of a fine imposed on Texaco for the illegal takeover of Getty Oil.
- 1999 The U.S. Senate fails to pass two articles of impeachment against President Bill Clinton. He had been accused of perjury and obstruction of justice by the House of Representatives.