Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, February 13, 2020:
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 70. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 47.
Mostly sunny skies are expected for the remaining week, with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1862 The four-day Battle of Fort Donelson, Tennessee, begins.
- 1865 The Confederacy approves the recruitment of slaves as soldiers, as long as the approval of their owners is gained.
- 1866 Jesse James holds up his first bank.
- 1914 The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is founded.
- 1936 First Social Security checks are put in the mail.
- 1953 The Pope asks the United States to grant clemency to convicted spies Ethel and Julius Rosenberg.
- 1968 The United States sends 10,500 more combat troops to Vietnam.
- 1970 General Motors is reportedly redesigning automobiles to run on unleaded fuel.
- 1972 Enemy attacks in Vietnam decline for the third day as the United States continues its intensive bombing strategy.