Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, February 18, 2020:
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 74. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 48. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Mostly sunny skies are forecast, with highs expected in the low to mid 70s, gradually dropping as the week progresses, and lows in the 40s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1688 Quakers in Germantown, Pa. adopt the first formal antislavery resolution in America.
- 1795 Birth of George Peabody, U.S. merchant and philanthropist.
- 1861 Jefferson F. Davis is inaugurated as the Confederacy’s provisional president at a ceremony held in Montgomery, Ala.
- 1862 Birth of Charles M. Schwab, “Boy Wonder” of the steel industry. President of both U.S. Steel and Bethlehem Steel.
- 1865 Union troops force the Confederates to abandon Fort Anderson, N.C.
- 1878 The bitter and bloody Lincoln County War begins with the murder of Billy the Kid’s mentor, Englishman rancher John Tunstall.
- 1885 The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, is published in New York.
- 1939 The Golden Gate Exposition opens in San Francisco.
- 1944 The U.S. Army and Marines invade Eniwetok Atoll in the Pacific.
- 1945 U.S. Marines storm ashore at Iwo Jima.
- 1962 Robert F. Kennedy says that U.S. troops will stay in Vietnam until Communism is defeated.
- 1964 The United States cuts military aid to five nations in reprisal for having trade relations with Cuba.
- 1967 The National Art Gallery in Washington agrees to buy a Da Vinci for a record $5 million.
- 1968 Three U.S. pilots that were held by the Vietnamese arrive in Washington.
- 1972 The California Supreme Court voids the death penalty.
- 1974 Randolph Hearst is to give $2 million in free food for the poor in order to open talks for his daughter Patty.