Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, February 21, 2020:
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 70. Light south wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Rain and possibly a thunderstorm, mainly after 4am. Low around 51. South wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Mostly sunny skies are forecast, with highs to seesaw between the 60s to mid-70s. There is a chance of showers from Friday night into Saturday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1775 As troubles with Great Britain increase, colonists in Massachusetts vote to buy military equipment for 15,000 men.
- 1828 The first issue of the Cherokee Phoenix is printed, both in English and in the newly invented Cherokee alphabet.
- 1862 The Texas Rangers win a Confederate victory in the Battle of Val Verde, New Mexico.
- 1878 The world’s first telephone book is issued by the New Haven Connecticut Telephone Company containing the names of its 50 subscribers.
- 1885 The Washington Monument is dedicated in Washington, D.C.
- 1920 Birth of Robert S. Johnson, American World War II fighter ace who shot down 27 German planes.
- 1951 The U.S. Eighth Army launches Operation Killer, a counterattack to push Chinese forces north of the Han River in Korea.
- 1956 A grand jury in Montgomery, Alabama indicts 115 in a Negro bus boycott.
- 1972 Richard Nixon arrives in Beijing, China, becoming the first U.S. president to visit a country not diplomatically recognized by the U.S.
- 1974 A report claims that the use of defoliants by the U.S. has scarred Vietnam for a century.