Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, February 24, 2020:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 72. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 51. Calm wind.
High temperatures are expected to rise to well above normal, reaching into the low 80s by Tuesday and peaking on Thursday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1803 Chief Justice John Marshall, by refusing to rule on the case of Marbury vs. Madison, asserts the authority of the judicial branch.
- 1813 Off Guiana, the American sloop Hornet sinks the British sloop Peacock.
- 1836 Some 3,000 Mexicans launch an assault on the Alamo with its 182 Texan defenders.
- 1836 Birth of Winslow Homer, American painter.
- 1885 Birth of Chester Nimitz, U.S. admiral who commanded naval forces in the Pacific during WWII.
- 1908 Japan officially agrees to restrict emigration to the U.S.
- 1912 The Jewish organization Hadassah is founded in New York City.
- 1916 A film version of Jules Verne’s 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea opens in New York.
- 1921 Herbert Hoover becomes Secretary of Commerce.
- 1928 The New Gallery of New York exhibits works of Archibald Motley, its first show to feature a black artist.
- 1944 Merrill’s Marauders, a specially trained group of American soldiers, begin their ground campaign against Japan into Burma.
- 1945 U.S. forces liberate prisoners of war in the Los Baños Prison in the Philippines.
- 1991 General Norman Schwarzkopf, commander of the coalition army, sends in ground forces during the Gulf War.