Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, February 27, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 88. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 56. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
High temperatures are expected to return to more seasonable levels by Sunday with a chance of showers over the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1807 Birth of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, American poet.
- 1827 The first Mardi-Gras celebration is held in New Orleans.
- 1864 The first Union prisoners arrive at Andersonville Prison in Georgia.
- 1865 Confederate raider William Quantrill and his bushwackers attack Hickman, Kentucky, shooting women and children.
- 1886 Birth of Hugo Black, U.S. Supreme Court justice.
- 1902 Birth of John Steinbeck, American novelist (The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men).
- 1908 The forty-sixth star is added to the U.S. flag, signifying Oklahoma’s admission to statehood.
- 1917 Birth of John Connally, Texas Governor, wounded in the assassination of President John Kennedy.
- 1920 The United States rejects a Soviet peace offer as propaganda.
- 1925 Glacier Bay National Monument is dedicated in Alaska.
- 1939 The Supreme Court outlaws sit-down strikes.
- 1953 F-84 Thunderjets raid North Korean base on Yalu River.
- 1969 Thousands of students protest President Richard Nixon’s arrival in Rome.
- 1973 U.S. Supreme Court rules that a Virginia pool club can’t bar residents because of color.
- 1988 Debi Thomas becomes the first African American to win a medal at the Winter Olympics.