Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, February 29, 2020:
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 69. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
A slight chance of showers after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. Southeast wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 10%.
Highs are expected to return to the lower 70s for much of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1692 Sarah Goode and Tituba are accused of witchcraft in Salem, Massachusetts, sparking the hysteria that started the Salem Witch Trials.
- 1736 Birth of Anna Lee, founder of the Shaker movement in America.
- 1864 Union Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick splits his forces at the Rapidan River ordering Col. Ulric Dahlgren to lead 500 men his men to Goochland Court House, while the remainder followed Kilpatrick in his raid on Richmond.
- 1864 Lt. William B. Cushing leads a landing party from the USS Monticello to Smithville, NC, in an attempt to capture Confederate Brig. Gen. Louis Hebert, only to discover that Hebert and his men had already moved on Wilmington.
- 1940 Hattie McDaniel is first African American to win an Academy Award–best supporting actress–for her performance in Gone With The Wind.
- 1944 Dorothy Vredenburgh accepts an appointment by the Democratic National Committee becoming the first woman secretary of a national political party in the U.S.
- 1944 US forces catch Japanese troops off-guard and easily take control of the Admiralty Islands in Papua New Guinea.
- 1952 The first pedestrian “Walk/Don’t Walk” signs are installed at 44th Street and Broadway at Times Square.
- 1956 President Dwight D. Eisenhower announces he will seek second term.
- 1964 President Lyndon B. Johnson reveals the U.S. secretly developed the Lockheed A-11 jet fighter.
- 1972 Henry “Hank” Aaron becomes first baseball player to sign a baseball contract for $200,000 a year.