Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, March 1, 2020:
A slight chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 63. South wind 5 to 15 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light northwest in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Highs are expected to return to the lower 70s for much of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1642 York, Maine becomes the first incorporated American city.
- 1692 Sarah Goode, Sarah Osborne and Tituba are arrested for the supposed practice of witchcraft in Salem, Mass.
- 1776 French minister Charles Gravier advises his Spanish counterpart to support the American rebels against the English.
- 1780 Pennsylvania becomes the first U.S. state to abolish slavery.
- 1803 Ohio becomes the 17th state to join the Union.
- 1875 Congress passes the Civil Rights Act, which is invalidated by the Supreme Court in 1883.
- 1912 Albert Berry completes the first in-flight parachute jump, from a Benoist plane over Kinlock Field in St. Louis, Missouri.
- 1914 Birth of Ralph Waldo Ellison, African-American author (Invisible Man).
- 1932 The Lindbergh baby is kidnapped from the Lindbergh home near Princeton, New Jersey.
- 1960 1,000 Black students pray and sing the national anthem on the steps of the old Confederate Capitol in Montgomery, Ala.
- 1968 Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara is replaced by Clark Clifford.
- 1969 Mickey Mantle announces his retirement from baseball.
- 1974 A grand jury indicts seven of President Nixon’s aides for the conspiracy on Watergate.
- 1985 The Pentagon accepts the theory that an atomic war would block the sun, causing a “nuclear winter.”