Friends of Casa Youth Shelter:
We are so grateful for the support we have received from everyone in our community.
We Are Remaining Open
The youth who seek help at Casa Youth Shelter are among the most vulnerable in our community. At this time we are committed to continuing to provide much needed shelter, food, and counseling to teens in need.
Precautions Are Being Taken
The health and safety of our clients and staff is always our primary concern, so we have made some adjustments to our program to ensure the health and safety of our people:
- We are modifying our crisis call and intake procedures to include recommended questions from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). If a minor is unwell and presents with symptoms consistent with the coronavirus, we will request a medical evaluation and note prior to admission.
- We have implemented strict hygiene and cleanliness procedures throughout the shelter, including hand washing, maintaining 6-foot distance when possible, and regularly disinfecting common areas and frequently used surfaces and objects.
- Offsite outings have been canceled.
- Visitors to the shelter will be limited. No group tours will be scheduled through the end of April.
- We are developing emergency staffing protocols, including remote work where possible, limiting staffing to essential personnel, and requiring quarantine after travel.
- We will strive to maintain a 30-day stock of emergency supplies at the shelter, including food, linens, toilet paper, paper towels, and other cleaning materials.
- We will continue to monitor the situation, and follow guidance from the CDC and local health departments.
Public Events Are Postponed
The following previously scheduled events will be postponed to a later date:
- Reality Party (scheduled for March 14)
- Los Alamitos Thrive Teen Expo Conference (scheduled for April 4)
- Awareness through Art Open House (scheduled for April 25)
Kenny’s Pizza Mondays Continue!
You can still order pizza from Valentino’s Pizza Los Alamitos on Mondays in March and support Casa Youth Shelter! www.casayouthshelter.org/events/pizza/
Parenting classes will continue as scheduled.
Youth Leadership Program meetings will be canceled through March.
How else can you help?
As a friend of Casa Youth Shelter, you know that the wellbeing of our youth is our highest priority. Many of our teens are particularly susceptible, not only to this new virus, but to other physical and mental illnesses that stem from the trauma of living on the streets or experiencing significant crisis. Your support is a lifeline for these youth. We appreciate you standing by us during – and after – this crisis. It is your support that allows our staff to continue their quietly courageous work. Your support keeps our youth safe. If you are able, please consider making a gift online (www.casayouthshelter.org/donate).
We Will Stay In Touch
This is a rapidly evolving crisis, and as the situation changes, so will our plans. We will remain vigilant, with the goal of operating Casa Youth Shelter safely, and supporting our team and our youth. We will continue to keep you informed, and we wish you and your loved ones good health, and a good weekend.
The article above was released by Casa Youth Shelter.