Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, March 28, 2020:
Partly sunny, with a high near 66. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Temperatures are expected to rise into the upper 70s with mostly sunny skies in the new week, peaking on Tuesday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1652 Birth of Samuel Sewall, British colonial merchant and one of the Salem witch trial judges.
- 1774 Britain passes the Coercive Act against rebellious Massachusetts.
- 1818 Birth of Wade Hampton, Confederate general in the American Civil War.
- 1864 A group of Copperheads attack Federal soldiers in Charleston, Illinois. Five are killed and twenty wounded.
- 1885 The Salvation Army is officially organized in the United States.
- 1908 Automobile owners lobby Congress in support of a bill that calls for vehicle licensing and federal registration.
- 1921 President Warren Harding names William Howard Taft as chief justice of the United States.
- 1930 Birth of Jerome Isaac Friedman, American physicist, helped confirm the existence of quarks.
- 1962 The U.S. Air Force announces research into the use of lasers to intercept missiles and satellites.
- 1969 Dwight D. Eisenhower dies at Walter Reed General Hospital in Washington, D.C.
- 1979 A major accident occurs at Pennsylvania’s Three Mile Island nuclear power plant
- 1986 The U.S. Senate passes $100 million aid package for the Nicaraguan contras.
- 1990 Jesse Owens receives the Congressional Gold Medal from President George Bush.
- 1999 An American Stealth F117 Nighthawk is shot down over northern Yugoslavia during NATO air strikes.