Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, March 30, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 71. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 51. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Temperatures are expected to rise into the mid-upper 70s with mostly sunny skies in the new week, peaking on Tuesday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1858 Hyman L. Lipman of Philadelphia patents the pencil with an eraser attached on one end.
- 1867 Russian Baron Stoeckl and U.S. Secretary of State Seward complete the draft of a treaty ceding Alaska to the United States. The treaty is signed the following day.
- 1870 The 15th Amendment, guaranteeing the right to vote regardless of race, passes.
- 1870 President U.S. Grant signs bill readmitting Texas to the Union, the last Confederate state readmitted.
- 1909 The Queensboro Bridge in New York opens. It is the first double-decker bridge and links Manhattan and Queens.
- 1943 Rodgers and Hammerstein’s first collaboration, Oklahoma, opens on Broadway.
- 1944 The U.S. fleet attacks Palau, near the Philippines.
- 1950 President Harry S Truman denounces Senator Joe McCarthy as a saboteur of U.S. foreign policy.
- 1981 President Ronald Reagan is shot and wounded in Washington, D.C. by John W. Hinckley Jr.