Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, March 31, 2020:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 74. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Temperatures are expected to remain in the low to mid 70s for the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1776 Abigail Adams writes to husband John that women are “determined to foment a rebellion” if the new Declaration of Independence fails to guarantee their rights.
- 1809 Birth of Edward Fitzgerald, American writer.
- 1862 Skirmishing between Rebels and Union forces takes place at Island 10 on the Mississippi River.
- 1878 Birth of Jack Johnson, first African-American boxer to become the world heavyweight champion.
- 1880 The first electric street lights ever installed by a municipality are turned on in Wabash, Indiana.
- 1916 General John Pershing and his army rout Pancho Villa’s army in Mexico.
- 1917 The United States purchases the Virgin Islands from Denmark for $25 million.
- 1918 Daylight Saving Time goes into effect throughout the United States for the first time.
- 1933 To relieve rampant unemployment, Congress authorizes the Civilian Conservation Corps .
- 1940 La Guardia Airport in New York officially opens to the public.
- 1945 The United States and Britain bar a Soviet supported provisional regime in Warsaw from entering the U.N. meeting in San Francisco.
- 1966 An estimated 200,000 anti-war demonstrators march in New York City.
- 1967 President Lyndon Johnson signs the Consular Treaty, the first bi-lateral pact with the Soviet Union since the Bolshevik Revolution.
- 1970 U.S. forces in Vietnam down a MiG-21, the first since September 1968.
- 1980 President Jimmy Carter deregulates the banking industry.