Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, April 8, 2020:
Showers likely, mainly after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 60. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Temperatures are expected to remain in the 60s, with mostly sunny skies after the storm system passes through the region.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1726 Birth of Lewis Morris, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- 1789 The U.S. House of Representatives holds its first meeting.
- 1832 Some 300 American troops of the 6th Infantry leave Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, to confront the Sauk Indians in what would become known as the Black Hawk War.
- 1864 In the Battle of Mansfield, Louisiana, Federals are routed by Confederate Gen. Richard Taylor.
- 1865 General Robert E. Lee’s retreat is cut off near Appomattox Court House.
- 1913 The 17th Amendment is ratified, requiring direct election of senators.
- 1921 Birth of Betty Bloomer Ford, first lady to President Gerald Ford.
- 1935 The Works Progress Administration (WPA) is approved by Congress.
- 1952 President Truman orders the seizure of U.S. steel mills to prevent a strike.
- 1974 Hank Aaron hits his 715th home run, breaking Babe Ruth’s record.
- 1975 Frank Robinson of the Cleveland Indians becomes first black manager of a Major League Baseball team.