Now that the difficult decision to cancel Spring Sports Championships has been made, we must now shift our focus to the important issues that face us in the time ahead. With that in mind, here are some updates as we move forward…
Meetings Schedule – All Meetings Will Be Held Electronically
- CIF Southern Section Executive Committee – Wednesday, May 6, 2020 – 1:00 pm
- CIF Southern Section Council – Thursday, May 21, 2020-9:00 am
- CIF Federated Council – Friday, May 29, 2020 – Time – TBD
- April 20/21, 2020 Agenda and back-up materials for the Southern Section Council meeting on May 21 will be available to leagues, along with instructions on how to join the meeting and participate.
- League Meetings – I assume that leagues will be holding their meetings electronically after the agendas and back-up materials for the May 21 Southern Section Council meeting are distributed. I want all our leagues to know that myself and our Assistant Commissioners are available to join any league meetings who wish to have us included. Therefore, after you receive the agenda and back-up materials, do not hesitate to contact me to invite us, we will be glad to be part of your meeting with you.
With Spring Sports now over, our athletic programs move to the bylaws contained in Summertime Rules. Those bylaws state that all Summer athletic programs are under the authority and jurisdiction of the high school principal. What that means is the school name, school uniforms and equipment, etc., can all be used in competition that takes place under Summertime Rules, provided the high school principal approves.
Furthermore, as Summer programs have always done, these competitions are not bound by CIF Rules, such as: academic eligibility, residential eligibility, the Sunday Restriction, etc. However, be sure to have appropriate facility permits and insurance coverage for these activities.
The point here is we are definitely aware that our member schools are hoping to conduct at least one more athletic contest, at some point when it is deemed safe to do so, to properly recognize their Senior student-athletes and provide some point of closure for what has already been lost. Under the provisions contained in Summertime Rules, that is entirely possible.
Fall Sports Scenarios
Our staff and I are already working on potential scenarios for the start of Fall Sports. Obviously, none of us know exactly when we will be able to resume athletic activities, but with schools closed for the remainder of the school year, that date is probably going to be after the end of the school year. If that date is June 15, or July 1, that means one thing. If that date is August 1, September 1, September 15, etc., it could mean quite another.
One thing to keep in mind is the situation for the Fall is completely different than this Spring. We started Spring Sports, had to stop, and continued to look for a way to conduct our championships as time continued to pass with the end of the school year quickly approaching.
In the Fall, we will await the date schools will reopen and adjust calendars appropriately for when sports can safely begin. There will be more flexibility for us in the Fall that we did not have in the Spring, as we can adjust calendars within a larger time frame and there will be many different options that can be explored. Just know that we are totally committed to doing everything we can to be able to go forward with Fall Sports Championships.
I hope this information will be useful to you in moving forward. I will continue to send you periodic updates in the time ahead so we may stay connected as we forge ahead.
If you have any questions, or I can help you in any way at all, do not hesitate to contact me. My staff and I are ready, willing and able to assist you in any way we possibly can.
Thank you very much for your help and support, it is truly appreciated. Be well, stay safe, take care and all the best to you and your families.
This article was written by Rob Wigod, Commissioner of CIF Southern Section.