Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, April 13, 2020:
Isolated showers before 11am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 65. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 52. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light southwest in the evening.
Temperatures are expected to gradually rise, peaking on Wednesday in the mid-70s, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1721 Birth of John Hanson, first U.S. President under the Articles of Confederation.
- 1743 Birth of Thomas Jefferson, third President of the United States (1801-09)
- 1775 Lord North extends the New England Restraining Act to South Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland. The act forbids trade with any country other than Britain and Ireland.
- 1852 Birth of Frank W. Woolworth, American retailer.
- 1861 After 34 hours of bombardment, Union-held Fort Sumter surrenders to Confederates.
- 1866 Birth of Butch Cassidy [Robert LeRoy Parker], American outlaw and leader of the Wild Bunch.
- 1864 Union forces under Gen. Sherman begin their devastating march through Georgia.
- 1902 J.C. Penny opens his first store in Kemmerer, Wyoming.
- 1943 Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicates the Jefferson Memorial.
- 1960 The first navigational satellite is launched into Earth’s orbit.
- 1964 Sidney Poitier becomes the first black individual to win an Oscar for best actor.
- 1970 An oxygen tank explodes on Apollo 13, preventing a planned moon landing and jeopardizing the lives of the three-man crew.
- 1976 The U.S. Federal Reserve begins issuing $2 bicentennial notes.
- 1979 The world’s longest doubles ping-pong match ends after 101 hours.